Pages

Tuesday, January 14

Belated Happy New Year!

You know I have started and abandoned a few blog posts over the past couple of weeks.  I am rarely at a loss of things to say, but I seem to be in a quiet phase.  Or when I'm not quiet, when I reread my writing, well... it's not so good.  So I think I'll come back to a post and then I don't or I've moved on in mood...  It's strange.

Where to start... where to start...

  • Christmas was good.  My brother, SIL and niece were home and it was lovely to have a toddler around.  Her vocabulary was expanding right in front of us, starting imaginative play, loving the stairs at my parents house (they live in an apartment so there is an element of novelty to stairs) and talking nonsense to my dad.  "Nana" and "Papa" are clearly people she likes.  She chatters away at Dad and he just makes small talk back to her.  When she got over tired on Christmas Eve and my SIL was trying to get her to bed, she cried for Nana.  Nana can make it all better when Mom is being mean.  
  • New Years Eve was good until I went to call a cab.  Note for next year:  cab hassle > wine.
  • New Years Day was off to a less than stellar start as I fell down the stairs.  Just the last 4 but my back side is still not fond of wooden chairs or getting into bed.
  • We had quite a few days of just being home.  And together.  And quiet.  I am sure there were many things I should have done that I didn't, but the down time was lovely.
  • I was pretty crafty in December/January when I think about it:
    • I appliqued humping reindeer on sweaters for my brothers in mid-December
    • I made bath bombs and bath milk for my manager, he's renovating his house and looking forward to the soaker tub so it fits in that context, he was crazy excited about it (I use this book but there are many recipes online too)
    • I made bread, lots of bread.  My brother Scot gave me a cook book for Christmas, so far I'm really enjoying it.  It really is easy and the bread is tasty, particularly if you like sourdough type breads.  Most of it I have taken as a little gift or into work.  
    • I've made some progress on a yellow baby blanket I'm crocheting
  • The weather has been... well, awful.  I'm sure other bloggers have mentioned the ice, then cold then snow then warm-ish, then ice then cold then...  I've got a lot of exercise shovelling snow and chipping ice.  We haven't been able to break out the snow shoes yet, too icy really, but we have gone out to the conservation areas for a few walks.  I can't even say hikes really because the challenging trails are still covered by fallen trees.  Still, walking in my boots rated for -40C cold takes a little more effort than sandals, I feel ready to walk on the moon in those things.
  • My uterus is confused.  Really confused.  I had some spotting on Boxing day and thought, look at that, a 30-ish day cycle - high 5 for my girly parts!  But no, it was just a day of spotting.  And again yesterday.  Sigh.  I'd just like my uterus to make up it's mind.  
  • My brother Scot proposed to his girlfriend while they were visiting her family over the holidays.  I'm so glad, I can see how happy he is since they started dating.  Happy is a good thing.
  • Looks like we might be going to Germany again.  Tasha and Friends was accepted into the same festival that we went to last year and this year I have more vacation time.  Yay!
It is time for me to pack up and head to bowling so I'm going to call it quits there.  I do hope the holidays were good for all of you.  I know it was a much needed break for me.

7 comments:

  1. I was wondering what you were up to, good to hear from you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read your post about goals for 2014 and posting more. I am in the same boat. It's somehow easier to write less when you post frequently. :)

      Delete
  2. Glad to hear from you and that you got a solid break over the holidays. "Doing nothing" is sometimes the best thing to do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree. There is no need to get into the "should have's" because there is nothing wrong with doing nothing from time to time.

      Delete
  3. Oooh, I want to go to Germany! And happy new year. Sounds like you're getting into the swing of 2014.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll see what that trip ends up covering, the festival is a good reason to cross the ocean. :)

      Delete
  4. There you are! Thought about you during the ice storm. Glad you fared okay.
    My resolution this year is to relax my expectations on myself. Sewing and blogging should be something I look forward to. Not add another thing to my to-do list.
    Anyway, nice to hear from ya! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments, I love to have a two way conversation. I seem to be getting a lot of spam from anonymous users and am turning off the ability to comment that way. I really would like to hear from you so if you do want to add your two cents without an OpenId, email me at seraphinalina at gmail dot com.